Melanie Tumbokon Wong Immigration Solicitor company logo
Call now for a FREE Assessment: 0203 302 6864

Tier 2 Dependants

Tier 2 Dependant Visa Applications 

Are you currently on a Tier 2 Visa and would like your Spouse or Family member to join you in the UK?  Or are you applying for a Tier 2 Visa and would like your family to travel with you to the UK?

Do you want to ensure that you meet all of the requirements and have the right documents to support their application? 

Call us Now on 0203 302 6864 for a FREE assessment of your case. We could be the first step towards you and your family's future in the UK. 
FREE No-Obligation Consultation
An Immigration Solicitor will 
Call You back to assist in your Case

Contact Us

Tier 2 Dependant Visa Applications

My spouse is in the UK with a Tier 2 General PBS visa. I am currently in our home country. How Can I Apply to Join My Spouse in the UK? 

A Tier 2 General Migrant with current leave to enter/remain in the UK, or who is applying for entry clearance as a Tier 2 (General) Migrant, can apply to sponsor a dependant family member/members to join them in the UK. 

Under the Immigration Rules, a family dependant includes:
  • The husband, wife or civil partner; or
  • The unmarried or same-sex partner; or
  • The child/children aged under 18 years old or
  • The child/children aged over 18 years old if they are in the UK now as dependants.
What Are the Immigration Requirements?:
Some of the requirements under the Immigration Rules are that:
  • the family member, (if applying as a spouse/civil partner/unmarried partner) and the Tier 2 General Migrant must be aged 18 or over on the date he/she is due to arrive in the United Kingdom; 
  • A dependant child of Tier 2 General Migrant must be under the age of 18 on the date of entry clearance application.
Savings/Funds Requirement:
  • Each dependant applicant must also show that they have £630 available to them. 
  • Additionally, the Sponsor must also show that they have £945 to support themselves.
  • The Applicant must show proof of this by way of 3 months’ original bank statements, (that is 3 months immediately prior to the application), and that it’s been in the Sponsor’s bank account or their dependant’s bank account for at least 90 days before they apply.
Case Scenario:
Sally has been granted a Tier 2 General Migrant visa. She is currently in the UK. She wants to apply for her husband, Michael, who is currently in the US, to join her in the UK. Sally would need to show that she has a total of £1,575 for herself and Michael, (£945 for Sally and £630 for Michael), and that she has had these funds in her bank account for at least 3 months before Michael makes an application for entry clearance. 

Savings/Funds Exceptions:

Evidence of savings is not required if the Sponsor has a:
  • fully approved (‘A-rated’) sponsor
  • certificate of sponsorship stating that your sponsor will give each of your dependants at least £630 to cover their costs for a month if they need it.
What if I am in the UK as a Student? And my Spouse has a Tier 2 General Migrant Visa? Can I apply as their dependant? Can I switch to that visa while I am in the UK?

The answer is yes. It is possible to switch into PBS Dependant of Tier 2 General Migrant from inside the UK unless:
  • The Applicant was last granted leave to enter or remain as a visitor; or
  • The Applicant is on temporary admission or temporary release.
How Long Will My Visa be Valid For?
  • Same as the Sponsor:
If the application is successful, you will be given leave for the same amount of time as your Sponsor’s. For instance, if your Sponsor was granted 3 years’ leave to enter in September 2017, and this expires in September 2020, then the Dependants will also be granted leave to enter until September 2020. 
  • Unless Sponsor has ILR/Settlement:
An exception to this is if the Sponsor has been granted Settlement or Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. In such instance, you will be given a period of 3 years’ leave to enter, which can then be extended before its expiry, as explained below. 

Extension Of Stay As PBS Dependant Of Tier 2 General Migrant
If you are already in the UK on visa as a PBS dependant of a Tier 2 General Migrant, you can seek extension of stay when the Tier 2 General Migrant is either seeking extension of stay, or applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Certain PBS dependants of Tier 2 General Migrants cannot apply for ILR at the same time as the main applicant due to not meeting the residential requirements and therefore they have to apply for extension of stay when the Tier 2 General Migrant is applying for ILR as a Tier 2 General Migrant.

When Can I Apply for ILR/Settlement?
You can apply for ILR as a PBS dependant of Tier 2 General Migrant if you have lived in the UK for five years on PBS dependant visa and your Sponsor is either applying for ILR at the same time or has already been granted ILR as a Tier 2 General Migrant.

Why Choose Us As Your Legal Experts?
For every stage of your visa application (entry clearance, extension and settlement in the UK), we are here to help you. We know that applying for immigration papers can be a daunting and stressful task, and the Home Office fees can also be expensive. 

Let us take the stress away from you by handling your case from the beginning of your application journey, until you have your visa in your hands. We also work fast, our fees are affordable, and we listen to our clients and work around your needs/specific situations. We can have your papers and applications prepared in 2-7 working days. Our number one goal is to have applications approved at the first attempt, and we have already achieved this for thousands of people, just like you. 

Contact us TODAY on 0203 302 6864 for a confidential chat and a free assessment of your case. Or complete the enquiry form, and one of our legal experts will get back within 24 hours. 
UK Visa applications can be complex and using the services of an Immigration Law expert is highly recommended. 

We have an excellent track record with all Tier 2 and Dependant Visa cases and our solicitors are highly experienced in this field. 

We offer competitive rates and packages tailored to suit your budget and requirements. We work fast to get your application and supporting documents ready for submission withi 2-7 working days. Speak to us by completing the enquiry form below, or Call us Now on 020 3302 6864

Submit Your Tier 2 Visa Enquiry

Share by: